Misc

Umami Marinated Steak and Green Beans with Almonds

January 23, 2014
Blue-Dragon

January 31st is Chinese New Year and to celebrate I have teamed up with Blue Dragon Canada to bring you a delicious and easy weeknight meal inspired by the flavors of the east

In the Chinese Horoscope, 2014 is the year of the Horse.  It is said that those born in Horse years are successful, quick to love, and good with their hands.  The Chinese Zodiac is actually quite interesting, and you can read more about it here.  Apparently our little family consists of a snake, a rabbit, a cow, a rat and a pig, which explains why it constantly feels like a zoo!

I love Chinese food, but its always so intricate, with so many steps, that I feel a little intimidated by it.  That’s why I jumped at the chance to be an ambassador for Blue Dragon, who promise to Make the East Easy.
When I first opened up the package they sent, I was so overwhelmed with the choices, there was so much yuuminess to play with, I didn’t even know where to start!
I decided to go with two of my favorite Asian dishes; Fried Green Beans with Almonds, and an Umami Marinated Steak.  I really like this meal because what little prep work there is, can be done the night before, and this becomes a great weeknight meal that can be on the table in less than twenty minutes.

Fried Green Beans

Ingredients

1 lb green beans
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Blue Dragon sesame oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp almonds

Directions

Combine soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic powder in a small bowl, mix thoroughly and pour into a wok over medium high heat.  Once bubbling add green beans and stir until beans are all coated.  Stir fry for 3-4 minutes until just tender.  Add in almonds and stir fry for additional 30 seconds.  remove to plate and serve immediately.

Umami Marinated Steak

Ingredients

1-1 1/2 lbs flank steak
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp honey
4 garlic cloves (diced)
1 Tbsp Blue Dragon Hoisin Sauce
1 Tbsp Blue Dragon Oyster Sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp Blue Dragon Sesame Oil

Combine all ingredients other than the steak in a medium bowl and whisk together. Place steak in a large zipper bag and pour mixture over top.  Seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours,(up to 24 hours).
Remove steak from bag and discard remaining marinade.  Set oven to broil.
Broil steak for four minutes per side.
Remove from oven and let stand for five minutes. Slice into strips against the grain and serve.

I’d love to hear from you, whats your favorite Chinese meal?

Disclosure: I am part of the Blue Dragon Ambassador program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. All opinions are my own.

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

• Reply Casandra January 24, 2014 at 3:57 am

That looks so yummy. My favorite Chinese meal is either orange chicken or beef and broccoli. It’s hard to decide, my family really loved Chinese but it is so hard for us to go out. I would love to find more recipes so we can cook it at home.

• Reply Neva Fels January 24, 2014 at 5:26 am

I’ve never tried Blue Dragon, but your pictures are a making me drool. I can’t wait to try this recipe.

• Reply Kathy @ CountingToTen January 24, 2014 at 6:36 am

I love this! Broiling the steak…I never even though about that. (I guess that would make it NOT super chewy the way I usually cook it!) My husband will love you for this one!

• Reply Kathy @ CountingToTen January 24, 2014 at 6:37 am

I Love this! I’ve never even thought about broiling the steak….that might just make mine NOT so chewy!

• Reply Masshole Mommy January 24, 2014 at 10:42 am

We have a nut allergy, so I would have to skip the almonds, but otherwise, this sounds amazing. I love having steak for dinner and I love that my kids don’t care for it that much, so more for me!

• Reply Diane Estrella January 24, 2014 at 2:50 pm

The green beans with almonds looks delicious. I’m not a huge Chinese food lover but it is good.

• Reply Leona Martin January 24, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Yum! Love fresh green beans cooked this way and adding soy – different. I’m going to have to grab some steak and cook this for Sunday dinner. Happy Chinese New Year!

• Reply Lisa Trudell January 24, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Even though it’s probably not the healthiest Chinese meal out there, I would have to say that one of my favorites is Sweet and Sour Chicken. The green beans with almonds looks wonderful.

• Reply Karla Harms January 24, 2014 at 4:34 pm

This looks so good! It’s nice to have a quick weeknight meal in the menu rotation. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply kungphoo January 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

What an easy recipe.. 2 of my most favorite thing to eat.. i am a big meat eater.. I will give this a shot!

• Reply Carla WorkingMommyJournal January 24, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Chinese food is my favourite as well! We buy it for every special celebration in our house 🙂 Green beans are a family stable (the boys favourite vegetable in our home) and this looks easy peasy! Always on the hunt for easy recipes that the family will love.

• Reply Shannon Wijnker January 24, 2014 at 6:29 pm

This sounds amazing! I am totally going to try it. I don’t have regular soy sauce. Only a sweet one called “Ketjap”. So I’m going to try it with that.

• Reply Natalie S. January 24, 2014 at 6:30 pm

That looks really good, two of my favorite foods in one. I’m so hungry now, I could really go for a steak!

• Reply Jennifer Van Huss January 24, 2014 at 10:31 pm

WOW! Great pictures!! !It looks like the meal is right in front of me!!! Beside the almonds (I’m allergic!) It looks like a fantastic meal! The steak is cooked perfectly!

• Reply Alicia Figueroa January 24, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I love easy recipes like this! I’ve heard of hoisen sauce and used it before, but never oyster sauce – I guess it’s one of those things that has always been out of my comfort zone. I’m definitely going to bookmark this to try it, although I’ll probably put it all into a stir-fry since that is my husband’s favorite 🙂

• Reply Joanna Sormunen January 25, 2014 at 1:01 am

A very delicious looking meal. And it’s not even hard to make. I pinned it so I can try out at home. Wish me luck 🙂

• Reply Jennifer Brown January 25, 2014 at 1:59 am

Oh and my favorite Chinese is egg-foo-young.

• Reply Elizabeth Copeland January 25, 2014 at 4:17 am

I haven’t tried that brand, nor have I seen it here. I will keep an eye out for it though, as I want to try the Oyster sauce, and fish sauce (if they sell it). I’m always unnerved by the fact that I can’t read the bottles at the International Market, and haven’t made the leap to fish and oyster sauce yet.

• Reply Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell January 25, 2014 at 7:57 am

I’ve not done much with Asian cuisine at home, but I sure like what you showed here. This isn’t difficult!

• Reply Bibiana Bailey January 25, 2014 at 2:00 pm

That looks delicious! I love the beans & my steak loving boys would love to have this for dinner 🙂

• Reply Debi January 25, 2014 at 5:13 pm

It looks like a fantastic dinner. I love green beans,

• Reply Katherine Bartlett January 26, 2014 at 1:33 am

This looks like such a delicious dinner! I love steak!

• Reply Eliz Frank January 26, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I love green beans and the product line looks terrific. I love Asian cooking and do quite a bit of it at home. You shared excellent pictures too. TY!
    Elizabeth

• Reply Sabrina @ Pink Little Notebook January 26, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Oh my that look delish! I’m not that great in the kitchen but will definitely try this one out. thanks for sharing!